Saturday, July 17, 2010

Martin and Ruth Revisited

Today we returned to visit Ruth and Martin and the children that will eventually live in the structures we are building. I think that this experience makes it much more apparent why we are carrying and moving and lifting and hauling.
Its hard to admit, because all of these children need so much love, but I think each of us found a 'favorite' or two that court our special attachments. My two guys are James Obama and Moses, both of whom have a wisdom and personality that hides deep in their eyes. We communicate mostly by sign language... James knows how the digital camera works and has already figured out which buttons to push to take pictures and to view them... and knows how to ask for a 'snap' to be taken of himself.
Moses was found four years ago as a 4 year old at a restaurant where he had been left by his parents. He is 8, but looks like he is five at the oldest. He had been sitting alone but joined James Obama and I, and I carried them from the church service to the family's compound of 5 or 6 buildings... where the 40+ children sleep elbow to elbow on dirt floors. Cooking is done over an open fire. for 40 children at a time.
As we walked, Moses talked to James Obama in small coo's of wispers... I have no idea exactly what they were talking about, but it was nice to such a close observer of their conversation...
James has no shoes. He walks over stones and dirt and rocks and sticks without looking at the ground. I think there is no running water.
Another of my favorites, Faith, sat next to us in church. She and her friend spent their time cleaning under my fingernails with a stick that they had found on the floor. It was very kind... grooming... caring... I was reminded of the washing of feet in the Bible... All the children are fascinated with our skin... that it changes colors when you push on it... that our veins are visible and blue, that I have hair that is soft on my arms. The young girls enjoyed the long hair of some of our team members... braids were tied and united...
I learned this day that my feet are soft. My hands are well protected. My belly is full, and my intestines are probably weak. My heart likes singing, and my head is quieter when there are a chorus of voices singing, even if I dont know any of the words.

No comments:

Post a Comment